Zombie Escape is also an available gamemode for Garry's Mod. Garry's Mod is a Source Engine sandbox game, created by Garry Newman, which features a large database of user generated content. Developers can use Lua scripts to create game modes completely with custom weapons, entities, etc.
On May 31st, 2012, a Zombie Escape game mode for Garry's Mod was released. This alternate version of Zombie Escape features many improvements over the Counter-Strike: Source counterpart.
- Map messages sent to the HUD (instead of chat)
- Zombie damage display
- Zombie knockback/push system
- Bosses display health bars
- Zombie arms weapon
- Simple weapon selection menu
- Win screen overlays
- Configurable settings
- Automated map changing after max rounds
- Decreased zombie health and infection time with larger amount of players
- Disabled Bunny Hopping